CalJOBS is a great online resource if you are seeking work in California. Employers can post jobs in the system and job seekers can find them. Many of these jobs are not posted anywhere else. If you are receiving jobless benefits from the California Employment Development Department (EDD), you are required to register with CalJobs. However, other California job seekers can use the site as well. Registering allows you the added benefit of saving your resume online and making it searchable for employers looking for your skill set. The site also has a host of great career builder tools that you can explore while waiting for that perfect job to come available.
In order to register, you need to have access to the Internet. If you do not have computer access at your home, try your public library. Most allow you access for free and some even have computers set aside for this purpose.
How to Register
- Go to www.caljobs.ca.gov
- You will see a SIGN IN button in upper right corner.
- Under the word PASSWORD, there is a link that says NOT REGISTERED YET? Click that.
- Under OPTION #2, click the link for INDIVIDUAL.
- Here you will need to choose a user name and password. Remember that prospective employers will be seeing the User Name, so don’t pick something too funky like DESPERATE or LIKES2PARTY. Remember to save your user name and password in a safe place because you will need these the next time you want to log in. Make sure to follow the directions given for choosing these words carefully.
- Answer the security question. You may need this in the future if you lose your password.
- Enter your social security number and zip code.
- Click the NEXT button to proceed. Fill out the information requested on the following pages.
- At some point, you may get a PIN number (Personal Identification Number). Remember to also save this in a secure location.
How to Log In
Once you registered, you will need to log in when you want to visit the site in the future. Follow these directions to log in.
- Go to back to the main page.
- In the upper right hand corner, enter the user name and password you choose when you registered and then click SIGN IN.
- If you have trouble remembering your user name or password, click the link for forgot username/password. Then follow the prompts.
- If all else fails, call the CalJOBS Customer Service Desk at 1-800-758-0398 during office hours.